Monday 11 June 2012

La Habra college graduate beats cancer twice

LA HABRA - As many graduates leave college happy to be done with class or dreading the repayment of their student loans, Cal State Fullerton graduate, Kelly Kim, is just thankful to be healthy.

Kim, 22, grew up in La Habra and beat cancer twice, after she was diagnosed with a brain tumor when she was 11-years-old.

She underwent two surgeries in a matter of six years before she was pronounced cancer-free a year after her second surgery in December 2007.

"As a cancer survivor, I have a greater sense of urgency to live my life with purpose," Kim told CSUF News.

"Tomorrow is never promised, but we often become comfortable in the `daily grind.' My cancer journey has helped me prioritize my values and really invest in things that matter: family and friends," she said.

Despite her setback, Kim continued to participate in La Habra city sports and traveled to Australia soon after her first surgery to compete in a soccer tournament.

"I didn't want my condition to be a handicap or excuse not to continue with it or whatever goals and plans I had.

"I wanted to be able to accomplish things and didn't want to be seen as different or not normal," she said.

Kim believes that her involvement with sports has helped with her cancerous battle.

Kim graduated with honors from Fullerton's Troy High School in 2008 and began her freshmen year at CSUF with a scholarship from the American Cancer Society.

The

public-administration major became involved with the university's Colleges Against Cancer Club and served as the survivorship chair of the first Relay for Life event on campus in 2009.

That year, the event raised more than $27,000.

"I participated in Relay for Life all four years and this year was the biggest fundraiser we've," Kim said.

Kim credits her parents for her involvement with the community.

"They've always been very good about making sure my siblings and I know how important it is to be involved and serve the community," she said.

Kim plans on continuing to stay involved and volunteer with the American Cancer Society.

"It's something I'm very passionate about and I don't see myself quitting," she said.

Kim was also a member of CSUF's College Republicans and completed an internship two years ago with Rep. Ed Royce (R-Fullerton).

She is planning on pursuing a master's degree in public policy next year after she completes her fellowship for the U.S. Department of the Interior's Office of Surface Mining.

Kim will serve as a Public Administration Fellow following a 10-week training session in West Virginia on June 22.

"Georgetown University is my first-choice, but it depends on where I go for a full-time position next year when I am done with my fellowship," she said.

Kim intends to work for a government agency like the Federal Bureau of Investigations in the future and focusing on environmental policies.

venusse.navid@sgvn.com

562-698-0955, ext. 3051

cnn debate equatorial guinea marine helicopter crash chicago weather star jones wheres my refund photo of whitney houston in casket

No comments:

Post a Comment